Bentheim I miss you



I was just going through some photos that I thought might be useful for my MA project, when a sudden melancholy hit me. Last July I took lots of photos in Bentheim, the town that my mother is from and where I spent all my summers and Christmasses when I was little. We always stayed at my grandparents' and when I look at the pictures of the house, which was sold in 2001 or 2, now, I get a really sad feeling in my stomach. Even a bit angry. It just seems so unfair, that there is no way of turning back the time and having one more chance to have tea and biscuits with Oma and Opa and then go out the door, up the two flights of stairs and pay the castle a visit.
I have such vivid memories of the place. Especially the house. The sofa in the front living room, that was really springy, the dark blue curtains (with a thin red checker pattern), that lit up at night when a car went past outside in the cobbled street (I used to love that sound as well!). There used to be a wooden cross in the hallway when you came in, with an inscription that I liked, now I am really angry that I can't remember what it said and will probably never again find out, because it's gone. Forever. It all is so final and yet, somehow I still don't want to believe that I will never see those rooms, the sofa, the curtains, and my grandparents again. That sucks.

3 Comments:
Oh Annika, the way you write about Bentheim makes the sad side of happy memories so clear. Usually happy memories stand alone, taking you straight back to the way you felt at the time. But sometimes it seems the more lovely they are, the harder it is knowing they'll never come back. I hope that most of the time your memories of Bentheim are the happy kind - the ones which make you smile inside. I'm sure your Oma and Opa would like you to feel that way when you think of the times you spent with them.
Oh, what a lovely comment, Carol! Thank you! I am glad other people have those feelings, too! You are so right, memories are so complicated sometimes.
I think it also depends on the way you feel at the time of thinking of them. When I wrote that post, I was alone at home and a bit annoyed and lonely. But when I think back to Bentheim together with Andres, we usually laugh about all the cool things we did. Like feeding the sheep grazing on the lawn in front of the castle and giving them names (and Mama wondering where all the crackerbread went...).
Das ist wirklich anrührend!
Und die Inschrift auf dem Kreuz lautete:
"Gott schütze dieses Haus, und alle die drin gehen, ein und aus"
Geschnitzt hat das Kreuz Karl Witenbrink (der Vater von Franz "Vatertag") während seiner Kriegsgefangenschaft.
Post a Comment
<< Home