Thursday, January 11, 2007

Birdhouse in Your Soul


(that is the title of a very good song by They Might Be Giants)
What you can see is my (well, ok, Papa's) birdhouse, just not in my soul, but in our garden. I know, it is debatable, whether it is good or not to feed birds in the winter, but as some ornithologists have decided, that there are too few birds because of too few moskitos and it is not harmful to feed, I embraced this new possibility of having some bird-watching-fun.
Obviously this was a very busy time at the birdhouse. 24 birds at once - that can only be observed, when you put out new seeds and preferably lots of peanuts. They go like hotcakes! My little Christmas present for the birdies. Awww. Nice. Makes me feel warm inside.

7 Comments:

Blogger Johann said...

24 - Those birds are like backyard rats :)

12:36 pm  
Blogger Annika Stennert said...

No they are not! They are nice little birdies with a good appetite. For peanuts in particular. Nothing to do with rats! :)

5:01 pm  
Blogger cybercarter said...

I love that song! I went to see They Might Be Giants a few years back just to hear it live. As for the birdies, the little ones are sooooo cute and the bigger ones are awesome - we've got a great spotted woodpecker who comes for the odd peanut snack, and a green woodpecker (with his red hat) who comes to peck out the ants from our grass. But I'm with Johann when you're trying to eat your sarnies in the park and the pigeons/starlings won't take no for an answer!

11:00 am  
Blogger Annika Stennert said...

The song is very cool, indeed. And birds are cool, too. Especially woodpeckers! We had a jaybird a couple of times and I got very excited.
One day, when I have retired, I am going to spend whole days with a pair of binoculars somewhere in the woods (somehow park-birds do not really count). It's goona be great. Already looking forward to it. I am going to take lots of little cookies with me for a picknick. And maybe my grandchildren. But probabaly not.

2:40 pm  
Blogger cybercarter said...

"Here comes Cool Grandma Annika" the woodland birdies would say as they pour themselves a glass of milk and get out their best china for their hand-baked-cookie tea-party!

3:58 pm  
Blogger cybercarter said...

nm,

[that's what my cat says - he just jumped on the keyboard!]

3:59 pm  
Blogger Annika Stennert said...

I didn't know you had a cat! Aww. I want to be you. That is not possible.
BUT! I have a desk now! And it is like a whole new world! I just assembled it ten minutes ago and ooh, I FEEL GOOD!

9:38 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home