World Class Cycling City

"In the month after the July 7 attacks, sales of bicycles in London rose by 20 per cent." According to the BBC. Apparently most of these are inexperienced cyclists, which is why the numbers in 'cycling deaths' have risen.
I would love to cycle in London. Unfortunately, we have little space for a bicycle at home and I have to cover such long distances (London is not Oldenburg...), that it would hardly make any sense anyway.
It is sad that cycling deaths make the headlines in London, but to me not very surprising. The mayor has this whole campaign going on how good cycling is for you and for London, but I have to say, looking at the LCC website (London Cycling Campaign http://www.lcc.org.uk/) is kind of depressing: it says "London Cycling Campaign's vision is to make London a world class cycling city." Have they been to Amsterdam, or Göttingen? I wonder if they know, just how far they have left to go...
Cycling is just not catered for here: there are so few cycling lanes or places for you to put your bike and it seems like all motorists hate cyclists. Noone cares about whether your bike is safe or not, either. While you have to pay fines in Germany for cycling without lights, for example, you just get run over here.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home