I've got nothing to do today but smile

I get the news I need on the weather report.
I can gather all the news I need on the weather report.
Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile.
Da-n-da-da-n-da-da-n-da-da here I am
The only living boy in New York
These are some lines from Simon and Garfunkel's song The Only Living Boy In New York. I love that song, in fact, its current play count in my iTunes is 67. I don't think it is supposed to be a happy song, at least not entirely, but even though, I always find it a really good song to listen to when I am happy with my life and the day, wherever I am at that moment.
Sunday was one of those days. The news from the weather report were sunny and summery, and we were off to Eastbourne for a wonderful walk on the Seven Sisters cliffs all the way to Seaford. What else can you do but smile at that prospect?!
It turned out to be one of those days, when you just live for the moment (in our case quite a long moment, after all, we walked for about 20 kilometres!). A day when you can leave everything behind and not worry about anything. I really had nothing to do but smile, London was miles away and I was just there with lovely people and absolutely mind-blowing countryside. I think one of the things I loved most was the short, green grass that was dry and warm when you sat on it. Oh, and the white cliffs, the glistening sea, the talks I had while walking, cows, pebbles, iced coffee at the tea rooms we stopped at and the exhaustion (and slight sunburn) at the end of the day.
Da-n-da-da-n-da-da-n-da-da.
Labels: Seven Sisters, Simon and Garfunkel, South Downs Way, Walk

3 Comments:
You look really pretty!! One of my friends asked me to go trekking with her tomorrow!! I asked her if she really thought she was asking the right person!! I need pollution, the hustle and bustle of the city!! I have enough of the countriside in PG!
Noooo! You should go! I am sure you would love, too, once you got there!!!
Sounds like a perfect day. And what you say about songs maybe not being intended to have the meaning you find in them is so right. I love the way you embedded the last.fm track too - it sent me off on another cyber-adventure... so many of my memories run to soundtracks in my mind - it made me want to build a series of blogs which chart different times in my life, with the soundtrack leading the way. If I ever do it, I'll send you the urls! I just need to find a way to embed the olfactory triggers as well!
Post a Comment
<< Home